Beijing (PingWest)- Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi said on Thursday that it had resumed operation for over 80% of its supply chain as it aims to support the distribution and production of its new flagship smartphone the Redmi K30 Pro, which is set to launch on March 24.
Xiaomi previously warned that it had difficulty to maintain normal production and smartphone distribution in February as its factories and offices can not meet necessary requirement for resuming operation.
February had been a challenging month for major smartphone brands as many of its manufacturing plants and retail stores were ceased operation due to the coronavirus.
Shipments of smartphone in China plummet in February, total sales of smartphone also witnessed a significant downward trend, smartphone phone brands sold a total of 6.36 million devices in China in February, down 54.7% from 14 million in the same month last year, according to data complied by China Academy of Information and Communication Technology.
It seems that Xiaomi’s smartphone is gradually getting back to normal in the domestic market. As of March 19, Xiaomi had reopend over 1,000 stores across China. However, Xiaomi most recently has closed its first and only Mi store in the UK.
The store was located in the Sheperd’s Bush, London, which commenced operation in November 2018 and closed on March 5, 2020.
In an announcement, the company declared that it is not a temporary shutdown in response to the coronavirus outbreak but a strategy change that has push it to shutdown the store for the long term.
“We were still very confident in the European market as the virus situation there, the current struggles of the market are temporary, “said Xiaomi’s senior vice president Wang Xiang.